AET Early Years: Making Sense of Autism (via Microsoft Teams) – Tuesday, 7th March 2023
Who is this module for?
This module is an awareness-raising module for all practitioners in Early Years settings, whether they be teachers, learning support assistants, school meal supervisors, or taxi drivers.
The module provides an introduction to autism and some initial reasonable adjustments that need to be considered when working with autistic children.
It also provides input on the creation and use of a one-page profile for individual children. Although not all practitioners who come into contact with the child will be involved in the creation of a one-page profile, all practitioners will benefit from having access to one-page profiles for individual autistic children.
The aims of ‘Making sense of autism in the Early Years’ are to:
- Enhance your understanding and awareness of autism and how autism can affect children in the Early Years.
- Know the importance of understanding the individual autistic child and their profile of strengths and needs.
- Highlight potential barriers to learning for autistic children.
- Equip you with the knowledge you need in order to begin to make reasonable adjustments in the way you support autistic children.
After completing ‘Making sense of autism in the Early Years’, you will be able to:
- Understand the importance of getting to know the child as an individual.
- Approach autism as a difference rather than as a disorder or impairment.
- Understand the importance of identifying the strengths and needs of autistic children.
- Know how autism can affect an autistic child.
- Appreciate how important it is to listen to and learn from the perspectives of autistic children and their parents/carers.
- Reflect on your practice and implement reasonable adjustments to support autistic children.
- Know how to develop or use one-page profiles for autistic children.
Please book before Tuesday 31st January to guarantee your place. Links are sent to participants via email by firstname.lastname@example.org on the Wednesday prior to the training.
Out of stock