These activities are suggested to support your child or young person if they are working towards early maths skills such as:
- Recognising numbers and quantities to ten
- Saying which number is one more or one less than a given number to 10
- Using objects to support adding and subtracting up to ten
For more ideas…Maths leaflet 1 (PDF) Maths leaflet 1 (word)
- Pair socks when washing, pair gloves, shoes etc. and count in twos. When making sandwiches counting in 2s for each sandwich made.
- Talk about ‘half, whole, full, empty’ in everyday contexts e.g. Make some sandwiches and cut off the crusts to make a clear square shape from your slices of bread. Help your child to slice up the sandwiches and talk about the shapes. Cut the sandwich in half to make two rectangles. Cut it diagonally into half and you get two triangles!
- Choose some food items out of the cupboard. Try to put the objects in order of weight, by feel alone, but don’t expect your child to read scales.
- Play shops, making up prices and using coins, modelling comments e.g. that costs more than that.
- Play simple board games where your child moves a game piece from one position to the next.